Sunday, April 24, 2011

Soy Seasoned Tofu (Doobu Jorim)

This is another common dish on Korean menus. It's popular because it is super healthy, costs nothing to make and so delicious. There are many variations but we like this version because the layer of corn starch adds a little crunchy texture. We really can't stop making this dish. Hope you like it too.


Ingredients for Soy Seasoning:
4T soy sauce
1t minced garlic,
1/2 t red chilli powder,
2t sesame seeds,
1/2 T honey,
1/2 T sugar,
4T chopped green onion,
1/2T white rice wine (or any white cooking wine),
1T water
1/2 T rice vinegar
1/2 t sesame oil

Other Ingredients:
1 package of firm tofu
3T corn starch
3T flour
2-3 T cooking oil
extra sesame seeds and chopped green onions for garnish

1. Mix all the ingredients for soy seasoning in a bowl. Set aside.


2. Pat the tofu dry with a paper towel. Slice half lengthwise then into 1/2 inch slices.

3. Mix the corn starch and flour in a shallow bowl. Then dredge the tofu slices in the mixture. Shake off the excess.

4. Heat oil in a fry pan. When pan is hot place the tofu in the pan. Heat for 3-4 minutes or until the bottoms are golden brown.

5. Flip the tofu slices and cook the other side until it is golden brown. If the pan is too dry add an extra tablespoon of oil.

6. Spoon all the soy seasoning onto the tofu slices. Reduce heat and simmer until liquid is mostly gone.

7. Put on serving plate and garnish with extra green onion slices and some sesame seeds.

Enjoy while it's still warm! It's great with rice and kimchi or with an ice cold beer.

39 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh my, this sounds and looks so good - i will have to try it!!

Liz said...

Oh this looks awesome! I hope you guys do japchae in the future :)

Ringo, have a banana! said...

I make something rather similar, only I dip the tofu in soy sauce/rice vinegar first and add nutritional yeast to the flour mixture. SO good!

satu said...

hi, we posted about you on WOWSAN! http://www.wowsan.com/

annton said...

Instant addiction! We have tried it last night and wooosh, we will always have it from now on!!

Heather Taylor said...

YUMMY CLOSET! That looks amazing!

Amelia Morris said...

you guys are impressive!!!

Anonymous said...

I am gonna try this!

Various Projects said...

yum! tofu & soy recipes must be in the ether... i just happened to purchase all ingredients to make aged dashi tofu. fairly similar, right?

teryll said...

okay, my mouth is officially watering....

Anonymous said...

definitely filing this one away in my recipes. i could eat this everyday.
xo

The New Girl said...

Made it today! Completely delicious and I think the leftovers will be good tomorrow too.

Thank you!

sarahwl said...

YUM!! can't wait to try it! so glad you two started this blog :)

Ladybird said...

I just tried out your Doobu Jorim recipe for lunch - so delicious! Thank you for sharing guys! x

Jocy said...

I made this last night and it was YUMMY and so easy.

Anonymous said...

Wow, this looks so good. Cannot wait to try it!

Mónica - Abilia said...

Thank you for the recipe!! I will try it tonight. Ummm, yummy!

Chelsea said...

Oh yum - this looks like dinner this week...

Mónica - Abilia said...

I cooked it and was delicious! I really liked it. Thanks... and looking forward to more yummy recipes :)

Carolyn said...

This was AMAZING!! Thanks guys.

Marie said...

This dish totally shows that tofu doesn't have to be boring!

Paulina said...

Great recipe! Food was delicious. Love all your projects.

Unknown said...

crazy as it sounds! I can almost smell it :)

Jennifer said...

This was sooo good. Made it last night. Definitely a keeper. Thanks!

Unknown said...

Made this with the cucumber salad - AWESOME! Thanks:)

nellie said...

Ahhh! The coating it in cornstarch is genius. I need to make this ASAP. Love your food blog...

Anonymous said...

Hello girls,
I made this today for lunch, and it was great!!! I am in love, and will definitely make again. Probably today for my husband when he comes home from work. I did not use corn starch, and I used sake (you wrote rice wine, and I have sake at home). Check out the pic...
http://i54.tinypic.com/vqnocg.jpg

Thank you for sharing this great recipe!!!
Sandy

Verbose Coma said...

I made this for lunch today, and it was DELISH! Paired it with sushi rice, steamed carrots, snow peas, and shiitakes. A comforting, flavorful meal especially with a glass of iced jasmine tea. The step-by-step photos made it easy to make, too. Looking forward to more!

Literary Lisa said...

I made this tonight, and it was some of the best tofu I have ever eaten, and definitely the best I've prepared (stopped trying to cook it years ago). Thanks for posting it!

Le Bouton said...

making this for supper tonight!!!
thank you!

Big Hug Studio said...

Finally, this recipe, I've been wondering how to make this type of tofu for a while now.

Thank you.

Anonymous said...

This was so good! Thank you!!

Matina said...

SO amazing. i usually make a similar mixture, but the cornstarch makes it so crispy. Thanks for the great post!!

www.angelamatina.com

I added the recipe link to my last post! Thank you!!!!

Eleana said...

So good, I made it last night. Blogged about it too.

letsgofooding.blogspot.com

Thanks!! Keep up the recipes, they're great. Do you know how to make the soybean soup they give out for free at AYCE BBQ places?

Anonymous said...

I keep making this! I have never enjoyed tofu anything, but this almost tastes meaty!

Anonymous said...

I cannot wait to try this recipe, I have tried tons of tofu recipes only to be disappointed. I am positive this will be a good one. I LOVE korean food too. Thanks for sharing!

libby said...

I tried this months ago and LOVED it and then couldn't find your site when I wanted to make it again! I just found it again after searching for half an hour and am sooo excited to eat it again tonight! Thank you!

Pattaya, Thailand said...

Yes that is a good recipe. I've use it twice and did it awesome. My friends also liked it.

Audrey said...

I can't tell you know many times I've made this for my family. My kids and husband love it -- and we are very much omnivores. Thank you so much for posting this recipe!